Thursday, December 15, 2011

The PNB's Nutcracker was Amazing!



Last night, I went all out for the most elaborate first date I've organized (most of my first dates usually involve the words "grande" or "on tap"). I decided to buy tickets to the Pacific Northwest Ballet's 2011 production of Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker. It was the best decision ever. Now, I'm not a ballet aficionado so I won't even begin to do an artistic critique of the production but I will tell you that the experience was hypnotizing.

Even for those of you who haven't experienced ballet, I highly suggest going and seeing the piece before the season ends. Almost every major city has a production of it around this time of year and you will certainly recognize many of the pieces (mostly in the second act).

One word of advice: ballet's are not movies, musicals, or even operas--so don't expect them to be. They are something entirely different. Especially for Tchaikovsky's pieces (I've also seen Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty), the story is simply a loose thread to combine the movements. Read the story beforehand so you know what is going to happen, but don't stay fixed on it. Enjoy the dancing just like you would enjoy a painting and get lost in the colors and details (which PNB highlighted so well).

I think it's great to get out and experience arts that you may not have much connection to; it's great for inspiration.

1 comment:

  1. Kevin - I agree with you that all the arts can be used as inspiration for a writer; one of my favorite things to do is to visit art galleries. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete