Monday, April 18, 2011

10 x 10

Today was a downer, I came down with sore throat 2.0, apparently last week's version was insufficient. Still, the day job must go on! But, after a sleepless night I had barely any energy today to read, let alone, write. I did get some diagramming of my text's plot and development down though, I think I have made some good progress using "The Snowflake Method" as discussed here ---> CLICK ME!!!! (note that the diagramming and the snowflake method are distinct from one another, the diagramming, however, was useful for me after using the snowflake method nonetheless).

In other news, I saw in Twitterland that Writer's Digest posted a contest to see who can write the top ten best poems using a rather clunky structure: 10 lines of 10 syllables. See here --> CLICK ME TOO!!! Being the go getter that I am....I decided to take a stab at it. See here:

Sunriver, 1997

The Summer had warned with her painted art,

Yet we failed to note the crimson brush strokes.

The cracked gold hay and milkweed in our hands

had kept us there wrapped up in that moment,

My barefoot brothers had turned stones into

Ships and cannons on the dark water’s edge.

And then, “all heed the signs we’ve been given!”

As they hoisted their arms to the heavens;

The stars had replaced the scarlet canvas.

And we raced home: three boys and three captains.

-Kevin Zimmerman


Also...Pictures of the fam!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kevin, I really liked your 10/10 poem on poetic asides. I entered one also...I see you have a picture up that has Seattle in the background. If you live up there, Do you know Jed Myers and Chris Jarmick? They both run readings...also a few others I know that do (I lived in Seattle for 20 years).

    great poem! Khadija

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Khadija,

    In case you see this, thanks so much for reading my poem and enjoying it! Unfortunately I do not know Jed or Chris but I'm trying to get plugged in to the writing/reading community here more so maybe we'll cross paths.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete