Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A midnight memory

"Her words were soft"


Her words were soft, fragile, and tender.

They travelled to me as if cargo in a sheep’s saddle bags:

Hardly heavier than the plush wool of their courier.

But no less valued.

They seemed to ring with a visible echo,

Or so my ears heard.

Like a pixie heralding the arrival of morning dew,

She whispered,

“May I ask you something?”

Her words were precise, resounding, and decisive.

With a touch to the keystone they dismantled me,

As if years became days, and all a guise,

Having the gall to lilt lazily before falling.

Like leaves which vowed life everlasting,

Now lying, lying under colorless limbs.

Yet, the sound of her voice was calming.

“What were you missing from the Lord?”

My armory could find nothing,

So cunning, grand, and subduing,

As the barrage of attacks it had seen.

Nor did it want to.

It surrendered, “nothing,

But the Lord was not mine.”


-Kevin Zimmerman


For all the poets out there, here is another poem of mine. This poem captures a brief five minute conversation I had with someone very close to me and the unbelievable weight I felt getting through it. I remembered this conversation stayed rattling around in my mind for some time, even after I was forced to put it into poetry to try to settle the spirit. I hope it conveys some of the feeling I felt that very memorable day.


All Rights Reserved.

1 comment: